South African Brandy Guild inducts news members
Several prominent South Africans have been celebrated for their outstanding contributions in raising awareness around the world-class qualities of South African brandy when they were inducted into the South African Brandy Guild this week.
The Guild comprises individuals, identified by the South African Brandy Foundation and its partners, whose contributions and enthusiasm for the quality and craftsmanship of South African brandy make them ambassadors in their own right.
Representative of the South African brandy industry, the Foundation is a guardian of its 300year heritage. In this role, the Foundation yearly inducts individuals, leaders in their industry who share a common bond – an enduring passion for the history and craftsmanship of South African brandy.
“It is with gratitude that we acknowledge the efforts of these latest inductees into the SA Brandy Guild,” says Christelle Reade-Jahn, director of the SA Brandy Foundation. “They join a collection of prominent South Africans who reflect the qualities inherent in the fine spirit, a consistent top achiever in local and international competitions.”
The inauguration took place during the Guild’s 30th anniversary celebration dinner at Cavalli Estate, near Stellenbosch, this week.
The new members are:
- Jan Scannell, who retired last year after 34 years’ service to Distillers Corporation and later as head of Distell, South Africa’s leading liquor business.
- José de Achadinha, founder and co-owner of Overland Liquors, a company with 194 franchises throughout South Africa.
- Nicolaos Eleftheriadis, who has been in the food and beverage industry for over two decades and currently oversees national brands such as News Café, Cafe Fino, Smooch and Illy Go!
- Nomfanekiso Noqa, owner and founder of the 21-year-old Fanie’s Place hospitality enterprise in Langa, where she is also very active in community development.
- Pete Goffe-Wood, a 28-year veteran chef who is most famous as one third of the trio of chef-judges on MasterChef SA.
- Tony Conde, who has been active in the liquor industry since 1996 and part of the Makro team for the past 12 years.
The induction of the new members of the Guild follows hot on the heels of another recent brandy highlight – the announcement of dates for Fine Brandy Fusion 2015.
Brandy-lovers in Gauteng should diarise 4 & 5 June, when the premier brandy event of the year takes place at the Sandton Convention Centre. It then travels to Cape Town, where it takes place on 25 & 26 June at the CTICC.